3/31/2005

Uncommon Mojo

Cheers to Yahoo for creating a special search utility to find content published under the flexible licenses of the Creative Commons. I hope this is a precursor to subsequent initiatives to marry this find-engine to a market that can for return payments to creators who seek recompense.

A little background.

Led by Stanford law professor Lawrence Lessig, the Creative Commons has sought to cut intellectual property red tape by evolving licenses that allow graduated protections for creative works. For instance, an author, musician or videographer can allow free use by others, providing they acknowledge the creator. A different license allows similar freedoms, but only for non-profit uses, etcetera.

These flex licenses respond to the frustration of creators who find their own works rendered non-commercial because of copyright restrictions, such as occurred with the documentary Eyes on the Prize. The Commons approach also speaks to users fed up with efforts by old media publishers to keep content on a tight leash.

But as a creator who believes my works deserve payment, I want the community building around the Creative Commons to become the nucleus for a new market for new media. The licenses are a good start by allowing collaboration and building upon works. The creation of media is increasingly a collaborative act. Even the lone author needs an editor (whether the writer admits it or not). And when we think of new and emerging media such as video blogs, podcasts, etcetera. I think it highly unlikely that one person will have every skill from the turn of phrase or the eye for camera shots, to the technical skills to edit or code content for Web distribution. New media people need to work together. And I said work to distinguish that act from labors of love, such as represented by this and most other blogs. Work implies payment and payment implies mechanisms. There much more needs to be done.

To cut a long rant short, the Yahoo search beta simplifies and mainstreams the collaborative engine arising around the Commons. But I’m sure everyone realizes this is a step and not a destination.

In a blog entry thanking Yahoo for “giv(ing) the net tools to make its community come alive,” Lessig described the Creative Commons as “just a piece -- a component -- designed to remove the uncertainty around what creators mean . . . . Our component helps people be clear about the freedoms they intend to give, and the freedoms they can rely upon.” I read into that a recognition that other components are still needed.

Yahoo’s endorsement and embrace of new publishing models has won it kudos from Business 2.0 writer Om Malik. He recently said Yahoo has regained its mojo after living in the shadow of that other Stanford-spawned search site with the quirky name. Malik credited Yahooligans Russell Beattie and Jeremy Zawodny with “spreading the open media religion at Yahoo.”

Let’s hope they continue to spread that religion in the way most important to the starving artists of cyberspace – by creating new and more efficient means to pass the collection plate.

Tom Abate MiniMediaGuy Cause if you ain’t Mass Media, you’re Mini Media

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One good resource for software development tool and many more free software alternatives is Software4YourSuccess.com
Yes it is my site and I would love for you to drop by for a second. From there you will have free access to several of my products such as The Marketing Toolbar (which is goldmine of information on how to do things quickly and on the cheap, thus saving you time and money).
Also for webmasters I have created Webmaster Wizards, which will help you with almost every aspect of putting code on your site from things such as legal and privacy disclaimers to popunders. I have so much content and free software there I could fill up this whole blog, so check it out Thanks, Sincerely Rob Rudd

8:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 7 because you have good content but lack of quality posts.

Free Access To More Information Aboutmaster degree

8:27 PM  
Blogger Manxuria Investments Ltd said...

For the first time today I took some time to look for infomation and related pages to this very topic. I also have a site related to this and I sometimes search in the blogs, looking for new article ideas. Today it was a joy to come across a real interesting post that you made. Thanks for this great blog over stock

1:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This IS The Easiest Money I've Ever Made!

And You Can Do It Too!

concrete product

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. I�ve been browsing the net for something related to single personals free and found this site - http://top-personals.net. It�s a guide to online personals and single personals free.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Antonio said...

Hola! Well done on a nice blog MiniMediaGuy. I was looking for information on learn spanish and came across your post Uncommon Mojo - not precisely what I was looking for related to learn spanish but an interesting read all the same!

You see I've just started out learning Spanish. I think I've found a pretty good method, but I'm constantly trying to learn more - faster - and improve. I can't wait to get over to Panama. Already made contact with a few hot Latina chicks. Looks VERY promising. Just got to improve on the Spanish :o)

If you'd like to keep an eye on my progress and perhaps provide some helpful advice, everyone's welcome. Please just surf over to Learn Spanish for Love. I look forward to meeting you.

Hasta luego!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Antonio said...

Hola! Well done on a nice blog MiniMediaGuy. I was looking for information on spanish love poems and came across your post Uncommon Mojo - not precisely what I was looking for related to spanish love poems but an interesting read all the same!

You see I've just started out learning Spanish. I think I've found a pretty good method, but I'm constantly trying to learn more - faster - and improve. I can't wait to get over to Panama. Already made contact with a few hot Latina chicks. Looks VERY promising. Just got to improve on the Spanish :o)

If you'd like to keep an eye on my progress and perhaps provide some helpful advice, everyone's welcome. Please just surf over to Learn Spanish for Love. I look forward to meeting you.

Hasta luego!

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi MiniMediaGuy, I’m out searching the web for the latest and greatest information on business home income internet work and found your great site. Although Uncommon Mojo wasn’t specifically what I was looking for it definitely got my interest and attention. I see now why I found your interesting blog when I was looking for business home income internet work related information and I’m grateful I found your site even though its not a perfec

5:44 PM  
Blogger TonyJ said...

home business can help solve your search for the latest in clickbank products. Visit http://www.make-money-online-biz.info and help yourself to the large selection of available clickbank products. Visit home business today.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home